The 2020 edition looks into the latest trends in global trade, with an in-depth analysis of trade in goods and services and in value-added terms. It points to the major changes in recent years, highlighting the leading traders, the best-performing regions, the most traded goods and services, and the performance of least-developed countries. The publication also looks into the impact of COVID-19 on global trade and the outlook for 2020.
In an introduction to the publication, Director-General Roberto Azevêdo says: "The WTO plays a critical role in compiling and analysing trade data. While the ongoing pandemic represents a dramatic break with nearly all recent economic trends, the fact remains that patterns in global trade offer useful insights for what the future may hold."
The report looks into the shifting patterns in global trade across a range of sectors, pinpointing areas that have seen major changes in recent years. These include trade in renewable energy goods, such as solar panels and electric cars, and trade in plastics. It also focuses on the impact of trade tensions in sectors such as iron and steel and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in areas such as tourism.
The report's analytical chapters are complemented by 65 tables providing a detailed breakdown of various aspects of merchandise trade and trade in commercial services.
The merchandise trade data in the report was compiled in collaboration with the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) while commercial services data was jointly produced with UNCTAD and the International Trade Centre (ITC) in cooperation with the United Nations Statistics Division.
Table of Contents:
- I. Introduction
- Message from Director-General Roberto Azevêdo
- II. Highlights of world trade in 2019
- World trade in 2019
- World merchandise trade in 2019
- World exports of commercial services 2019
- The world's leading traders
- Least-developed countries
- III. World trade and GPD, 2019-20
- World trade and GDP
- Merchandise trade volume
- Primary commodity prices
- Exchange rates
- Value of world trade
- COVID-19 and trade
- Outlook for 2020
- IV. Shifting patterns in trade
- Merchandise trade
- Trade in services
- Global supply chains for chemicals and pharmaceutical goods
- Statistical reporting
- V. Composition, definitions & methodology
- Composition of geographical and economic groupings
- Definitions and methodology
- Specific notes for selected economies
- Statistical sources
- Abbreviations and symbols
- VI. Statistical tables