Companies, lawyers, privacy officers, compliance managers, as well as human resources, marketing and IT professionals are increasingly facing privacy issues. While information on privacy topics is freely available, it can be diffcult to grasp a problem quickly, without getting lost in details and advocacy. This is where Determann's Field Guide to Data Privacy Law comes into its own – identifying key issues and providing concise practical guidance for an increasingly complex field shaped by rapid change in international laws, technology and society.
This fourth revised edition reflects significant changes to data privacy law since 2017 such as the entering into force of the EU General Data Protection Regulation, as well as the challenges companies face with respect to data monetization, cloud adoption and the Internet of Things. With data privacy law enforcement at an all time high, readers will benefit from this introduction to key data privacy concepts and the useful practical guidance on starting, maintaining and auditing compliance programs. Step-by-step direction on drafting privacy documentation is provided, with 'how-to' suggestions for tackling other tasks and projects. Finally, the book offers an A-Z list of hot topics, organized by commonly used words and terms. This should be on the desk and in the briefcase of every compliance officer and corporate counsel.
New to this Edition:
- updated guidance based on EU GDPR enforcement, the California Consumer Privacy Act, the CLOUD Act and other new laws
- in-depth discussion of pros and cons of cross-border transfer compliance mechanisms
- trends, tips and terms for contracts
- roadmap for addressing data subject access and deletion rights
- checklists for marketing and data monetization programs
- guidance for impact assessments and accountability documentation
- information relating to hot topics in privacy such as clinical trials, artificial intelligence, connected cars
- risk mitigation suggestions for product manufacturers
- A–Z of data privacy provides snapshot of key topics
- practical guide to starting, maintaining and auditing privacy compliance programs
- glossaries of key acronyms and terms help the user to navigate through the field
- sample documentation and checklists to ensure the clearest possible guidance
- advice on drafting documentation and tools to complete an end-to-end process
- concise overview of the practical requirements of data privacy compliance worldwide
- clear structure facilitates quick reference.
'Determann's Field Guide to Data Privacy Law was my first foray into the world of data privacy after a client asked if I could advise on this little thing called GDPR back in the day. My well-thumbed copy is still within reach, well after GDPR and several other major privacy regulations have been enacted. The balance between academic information and practical application guidance continues to shape the way I provide value to my clients as a privacy professional.'
– Zainab Hussain, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLC
, Baker McKenzie LLP, Palo Alto, US, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, University of California, Berkeley School of Law and Hastings College of the Law, US.