European Fashion Law: A Practical Guide from Start-up to Global Success provides an accessible guide to the legal issues associated with running a fashion business in Europe. This concise book follows the lifecycle of a fashion business from protecting initial designs through to global expansion.
Readers will benefit from:
- The logical and easy-to-follow structure which highlights relevant legal considerations at each stage in the development of a fashion business;
- First-hand, practical guidance on commercial issues associated with the fashion industry, including: how to avoid costly legal disputes, launching a website and working with third parties;
- Advice on how to protect a company's intellectual property at each stage of business development: from registering designs to combating counterfeits;
- A concise overview of relevant EU legislation and case law as it applies in practice.
This inherently practical book will be a helpful go-to guide for those running a fashion business and for their in-house legal teams. For lawyers in practice the book will be useful point of reference when advising fashion and retail clients. For students of fashion, design, retail, or intellectual property, this book will provide a practical grounding to accompany academic studies.
'This practical guide is essential reading for those working in the fashion business, including practitioners and lawyers with fashion clients, or in-house. It will no doubt be a welcome resource to any student of law interested in moving into the fashion industry as well as fashion students. The structure and presentation of the book also makes it a valuable and easily accessible for fashion start-ups, early fashion businesses and students in fashion, design, or retail.'
– Hayleigh Bosher, IPKat
'Burbidge's book, however, is singularly important, in that legal texts about the European fashion industry are all too rare. Independent practitioners and in-house lawyers, as well as their clients, will doubtless regard this book as essential and well-nigh compulsory reading.'
– Phillip Taylor MBE and Elizabeth Taylor, The Barrister Magazine
'This is the best industry-focussed legal textbook I've seen. Rosie covers a lot of ground and navigates complex areas of law in plain English. The book is accessible, well-structured and highly relevant.'
– James Sweeting, Senior IP Counsel, Superdry PLC
'A refreshingly insightful overview of the legal challenges and opportunities facing fashion businesses operating today in Europe. It condenses vast realms of information into digestible and practical summaries, all written in a modern and commercial voice that enthuses passion for this fabulous industry.'
– Head of Legal, Online Fashion Business, UK
'Rosie Burbidge provides an excellent overview of different aspects of fashion law in a European context ... As Oscar Wilde said, "You can never be overdressed or overeducated"; so I recommend readers, and in particular those who are planning to work in or for the fashion industry, to go out and buy the book to get acquainted with and/or further educated on all aspects of fashion law.'
– Carina Gommers, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice
'This is a wonderfully comprehensive look at fashion law, covering IP and other legal rights together with business and other practical concerns (such as—"how do I begin"?). The author's treatment of fashion technology is novel and particularly welcome. Altogether, a must-have, must-read for anyone who deals with the fashion industry.'
– Neil Wilkof, Dr Eyal Bressler & Co, Israel
'Rosie Burbidge's European Fashion Law is a joy to read. The book manages to achieve the impossible: technical precision, consideration of several key areas, and an informative and humorous tone. Irrespective of their professional background, readers will find this work a fantastic companion for their exploration of the increasingly complex world of fashion law: it's a must-have!'
– Eleonora Rosati, University of Southampton, UK
, Partner, Gunnercooke LLP, London, UK.